Job Title: Kennel Assistant
Reports To: Nursing Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Kennel Assistant focuses on the cleaning, disinfecting or sterilizing areas of the hospital including kennels, cages, tools, and equipment. Manages the laundry of towels, bedding, and other washable items. With the direction of the veterinarian and/or technicians, will assist with handling, monitoring, basic animal care, and possibly assisting during surgery.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Although additional duties and related tasks may be assigned, the essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Clean and disinfect cages, kennels, and examining and operating rooms.
- Safe and gentle animal restraint and handling, if needed proper application of muzzles.
- Cleaning and sterilizing; aseptic technique and using proper cleaning protocols.
- Obtains patient weight and vitals.
- Assists Veterinarian or Technician (as qualified) with venipuncture, IV catheter placement, and other treatments; assisting with radiograph collection, restraint for ultrasonography, and the collection and submission of lab work.
- Prepare equipment for surgery and pass surgical instruments and materials to veterinarians or technicians during surgery.
- Monitor and care for animals after surgery under the direction of the Veterinarian or Technician.
- Responsible for stocking all exam rooms, cabinets, drawers, and shelves.
- Will prepare and assist with the feeding of hospitalized animals and when necessary walking hospitalized animals in or around premises.
- Escorting clients and patients to exam rooms and within the hospital for in-patient caressed visits; ensure all dogs are leashed and cats/smaller pets are contained in carriers, use caution and notify technicians/veterinarians if animals show signs of aggression and call for triage assistance by a staff member when a critical case is identified, or a patient or client is in need of immediate treatment.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Vacation and Sick Time
- Continuing Education allowance