Referral & Specialty Services
Our internal medicine team is here for your pet when he or she is seriously ill. Internal medicine specialists diagnose and treat diseases of your pet’s internal body systems, including cardiovascular, endocrine, gastrointestinal, hematologic, kidney, liver, respiratory and urinary diseases. They also oversee 24 hour critical care and hospitalization for critically ill pets.
Our internists specialize in disorders that are complicated to diagnose or to treat, or multi-system disease processes, or internal illnesses that are not responding to medical treatment as expected by your family veterinarian.
Internal Medicine at United Veterinary Specialty
You may be familiar with some of the common disorders we diagnose and treat, including:
- Endocrine diseases such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, Cushing's disease
- Gastrointestinal diseases: chronic or recurrent vomiting/diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease, weight loss
- Respiratory diseases: kennel cough, pneumonia, upper respiratory disease
- Liver diseases: portosystemic shunts, hepatitis, hepatic lipidosis
- Renal diseases: Chronic, acute kidney injury/toxins, protein-losing nephropathy
- Urinary diseases: incontinence, inappropriate urination, chronic-recurrent infections
- Immune-mediated diseases: anemia, polyarthritis, thrombocytopenia
- Infectious diseases: Leptospirosis, Lyme, Fungal disease, viral and tick-borne diseases
We offer advanced diagnostics including:
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Gastrointestinal endoscopy and colonoscopy
- Rhinoscopy (Nasal cavity)
- Cystoscopy (Bladder)
- Bronchoscopy (Lungs)
- CT scanning
- Bone marrow sampling
- Joint sampling
- Feeding tube placement (Esophagostomy and PEG tube)
About United Veterinary Specialty’s Internal Medicine Department
- United Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Internal Medicine Veterinarians are Board-Certified Veterinarians, Diplomates of the ACVIM within the College of Internal Medicine.
- This certification means our Board-Certified Internal Medicine Veterinarians received a minimum of an additional 3 years of extensive post-doctoral training in diagnostic techniques as well as medical and interventional therapies specific to internal medicine. They also successfully completed of a rigorous series of examinations administered by the ACVIM.
- Our Veterinary Internal Medicine Specialists have an interest and expertise entirely dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of your pet’s internal systems, and are up to date with the latest treatment options and veterinary research.
- Our hospitals offer state-of-the-art equipment, 24 hour critical care and comprehensive diagnostic tools.
Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Care from the San Francisco Peninsula to the Silicon Valley
Always available, easily accessible.